The Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 143) is a permanent visa that lets the parent of a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident of Australia, or qualifying New Zealand Resident to stay in Australia indefinitely. When you apply for this visa, you can be in or out of Australia.
This visa allows you to
- Stay in Australia indefinitely
- work and study in Australia
- enroll in Medicare
- sponsor your family members to come to Australia
- Apple for Australian citizenship
- you can travel to and enter Australia for 5 years
Travel to and from Australia for 5 years
You have 5 years from the day they award this visa to travel to and from Australia as many times as you wish. This is valid for as long as the travel facility on this visa is still valid. If you intend to travel after the original 5-year period:
- To re-enter Australia as a permanent resident, you must apply for and be granted a Resident Return (RRV).
- To re-enter Australia as a permanent resident, you must apply for and be granted a Resident Return (RRV). If you become an Australian citizen, you will not need a visa to enter the country. You must get an Australian passport and use it to leave and re-enter Australia.
If you have a Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173)
You must first apply for a Contributory Parent (Temporary) (subclass 173) visa before applying for the subclass 143 visa. By applying for the subclass 173 visa first, followed by the subclass 143 visa, you can spread the expense of the visas over a number of years.
You have already passed the family balance test.
Apply for a Parent visa (subclass 143) as a retiree
If you apply for the subclass 143 visa as a retiree, you are exempt from the following requirements:
- fulfill the family balance test
- have a sponsor or assurance of support
How long can you stay?
This is a permanent visa. It allows you to remain in Australia indefinitely. For citizenship purposes, your permanent residency begins on the following date:
- If you are in Australia, you will be granted this visa.
- If you are not in Australia, you can enter on this visa.
Include family members
When you apply, you can add family members in your application. You must provide information on all of your family members, whether they are migrating or not. Applicants’ family members must fulfill our health and character standards. Family members who are not traveling to Australia may be required to fulfill our health and character standards as well.
If you apply as a retiree for this visa:
- You can add your partner in your application if they are also a retiree.
- You are unable to add your children in your application.
This visa starts at AUD47,955. There is also a fee for each family member that applies with you. This visa must be paid for in two installments. When you apply, you must pay the first installment. You should pay the second installment when they ask for it. You could also be charged for health checks, police certificates, and biometrics.
When you apply for the visa, you might be in or out of Australia. If you apply in Australia, any family members who apply with you must also be in Australia at the time you apply, but not in immigration clearance. In case you apply outside of Australia, any family members who apply with you must also be outside of Australia at the time of application. If you are applying as a retiree, you must be in Australia at the time of application but not in immigration clearance. When they make a judgment on your application, you can be in or out of Australia.
Time required for processing
For this visa, they do not disclose processing times. This visa application is subject to capping and queueing. It is possible that your application will take longer to process if:
- You do not fill it out correctly
- you do not include all of the documents they want, or they require further information from you
- it takes time for them to check your information
They will not be able to process your application if you do not pay the right visa application fee. If this is the case, they will contact you and, if necessary, return your application. Visas for family migration are in great demand. This visa can take many years to be issued.
Visa applications are assessed in 2 stages.
- Check eligibility and either accept or reject the application.
- Continue to assess the application and make a decision when a spot becomes available.
Make no plans to relocate to Australia until the visa is provided to you. If you are granted you the visa, you will be made aware in writing.
You and your family members must comply with all visa requirements and Australian laws.