With PSC exams just around the corner, there are just a few days left for one of the most challenging and popular state examinations, UPPSC. Lakhs of candidates appear for the Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission Exam, in which we see some of the brightest minds in the country pitted against each other in this fiercely competitive examination.
It is not an easy task to crack UPPSC PCS in one go. It sometimes requires months or even years of hard work and preparation. Most of the aspirants usually start their preparations at least a year ahead, while some tend to start a month or two before the scheduled examination date. Every candidate has their own strategy and study plans for exam preparation; they end up cracking under pressure or when anxiety kicks in.
If you’re one of those who is coming under immense pressure due to depleting time for preparation, we have a complete study plan for you to prepare better for the UPPSC examination. This article will not only give you great tips but also increase your chances of cracking the examination.
- Timely completion of the syllabus – Start your preparation by following the syllabus of the PSC exam and covering the complete syllabus in a systematic manner. Find out the complete subject-wise marking scheme and prepare accordingly. Remember to revise every day whatever is read as those topics will be still fresh in mind.
- Managing time – Managing time for study deals with allocating your time for all the subjects you need to cover. It also deals with how much time needs to be given for each section of each subject. Set yourself realistic targets. Harder subjects and sections need to be given more attention and hence more time needs to be slotted for them. List out the topics you need to study on a particular day, and make sure to finish your task by the end of the day. Use a timer to keep track of time, and make sure you stick to your study schedule.
- Collecting relevant study materials – Thousands of materials are available both online and offline to start off with the exam preparation. Out of the whole gamut of books and study materials, candidates are required to pick the best materials to complement their preparation. However, candidates can find all the important topics from the NCERT book as most of the exam questions come from NCERT books only. But picking some good books for comprehensive coverage of the topics will be icing on the cake.
- Avoid distractions – Most of you prefer to study while listening to music, watching TV, or texting friends. Research shows that all those students who prefer to study like this retain less information. It is better to go for instrumental music to stay focused. Try to avoid all sorts of distractions as much as possible and get yourself a quiet place to study.
- Use flashcards to memorise – It’s a lot easier to remember something when you are learning with the help of visual aids. This is because visual aids help register concepts in your mind much better than just raw text. When you study, try to use diagrams to understand complex concepts. Memorise well by using flashcards and reduce your important topics into different bullet points, lists, diagrams, and formulas. Whatever you have placed on the flashcards will act as memory triggers. This helps in better recall and retention of information. You can use these cards when you are left with short bursts of time.
- Check previous years’ question papers – Try out some old exam papers and familiarise yourself with the exam format. Practice answering those questions within the specified time period and check your answers against your notes to make sure you got them correct. As you keep engaging yourself in solving question papers, you will slowly get familiar with the question pattern, types of questions, duration of the exam, and marking scheme.
- Clear your doubts – Doubts are a part of the learning process, and you are bound to come across a few every day. Don’t hesitate to ask for help when you are in doubt. You could seek the help of your teacher, mentor, senior or any expert who can help you understand complex problems and concepts.
- Get the feel of a real exam scenario – In addition to solving the question papers, you should often practice by taking mock tests in order to succeed in the exams. Mock tests will help you get familiar with the real exam scenario. Further, mock tests will help you to significantly enhance your exam-taking and time management abilities.
- Filter out important topics – It is important that you go through the syllabus and mark all the important topics to keep your focus on those a bit more. Candidates will get to know about the important topics while solving the previous years’ papers. For example, if you find that questions on Union Territories of India (an important topic in the UPPSC syllabus under the polity and governance segment) have been asked numerous times. Then you will definitely give extra time to this topic to cover it comprehensively.
- Become a teacher – Not literally! But explaining your answers to others will help you in getting the concepts clear to your brain, highlighting the key points where you need to work more. Ask your friends, parents, or anyone who supports you during exam preparation to ask questions from you. Explain your answers to them and know how much is done.
- Health is the prima facie – Exams always bring stress, but too much stress can ruin your preparation. Don’t forget to take care of your health, food, and sleep. Good mental and physical condition is very important for the exam. After studying, take some time to relax your mind and body, eat well to build your energy, have a good night’s sleep and keep a positive attitude towards your exam. Be exam focused but relaxed; you have done the preparation, and now it’s time to reap the golden rewards.
Try out these effective tips to prepare for the UPPSC PCS exam and measure your improvement after using the new preparation strategy.